Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Dalton's Big Adventure

I have bittersweet memories of going to the dentist. I loved my dentist growing up, he was so great and always made 'the worst of cavities' seem not bad to us. Today I took Dalton Patrick to the dentist. This might be the only child in the WORLD that gets totally pumped for the dentist. He loves to floss his teeth, take the x-rays, and, in the end, proudly beam with pride as Dr. Scott says "no cavities and WOW, what a great job with that flossing!" Today was no different. He proudly walked in the door (board shorts and spikey hair), and announced "I LOVE THIS PLACE!" There were no less than a dozen kids sitting in there, most of which had a terrified look on their face. Skipping ahead, when we were all done at the dentist, I promised him a happy meal at McD's. So we sat down to his lunch and there were 3 older gentlemen sitting behind us. I would say easily in their late 80's and older. They were talking SO LOUD that after about 10 minutes I could see people getting up and actually leaving. I know they can't hear, but I mean they were REALLY loud. Dalton kept looking over my shoulder and I knew at some point he was going to say something, because he too was trying to talk about the 'new Shrek movie' and the old folks were so loud I could barely hear him. He looked at me finally and said, "MOMMY what is the DEEAAAALLL? Why are those old Papas yelling everything they SAY???!!!!"

Of course this evoked laughter from the others in the crowd that CAN hear. Luckily the three fellas behind us did NOT hear Dalton make this annoucement. I am not being mean, I will probably be there someday too, yelling just to hear myself. Wait a minute, I do that already at home :)

No comments: